Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Cha-Ching: On sales, custom orders, and knitting

“I still find each day too short
for all the thoughts I want to think, 
all the walks I want to take,
 all the books I want to read,
and all the friends I want to see.” 
~John Burroughs

I shared this quote with y'all on Facebook earlier today. Indeed, my day was too full--too full for my SIP and my Shakespeare essay and my date with all those loose papers that desperately need to be organized into my binder. But it was full of delights and surprises, and I'm thankful for every last one. 

If you ever visit the Etsy forums, you will see lots of sellers talking about the "cha-ching." Apparently, that's the sound the Etsy app makes when you get a sale. I don't cha-ching, but I did have two sales today--three this week so far. WOW. I'm still new at this whole small biz thing, so every sale feels like the very first one. I dance like a little kid! But you know what? I hope I never lose that feeling. I hope that as long as I am a business woman, be it 1 year or 100, that every single sale feels like the first one. 

Why? you might be asking. It's actually not about the money, though that is a very important part of the business. It's about the delight that I made a product that a customer is willing to spend their hard earned money on. It's an affirmation of my skills and artistry. It's like making a new friend. 
Today was full of running to the post office (twice), writing notes to customers, and reading little blurbs like, 
"I purchased some of these and they are WONDERFUL! Great job, HollyAnne!" 
and "I agree, [creating a custom order together] is FUN." 
It was full of connecting with a former neighbor over a yarnation (that's my brand new word for something created out of yarn. Be impressed--that's pure genius. ;-) ). 
I'm thankful, and very blessed. 

Today was my first day as a truly busy business woman. Maybe I grew into that role a little more over the last few hours. It was a new step of my adventure. 

I want to hear from YOU! 
What was your day full of? A new book? Too much to do at work? Snow? 
Was there an adventure hidden (or not so hidden) in it?
Please comment and share your story! :-) 

Adventure well; Live fully. 
HAK 
Love these? They are SUPER COZY. 
Request a custom order in your
favorite color and fiber at 
www.etsy.com/shop/MesAventuresCraftsCo
or by clicking on the Etsy Mini on the right. 
----->
 
I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see.
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/j/johnburrou101053.html#PvVbljC3sBUV6T0F.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments about this post--I'd love to hear from you!