This recipe is originally from an old cookbook of my mother's. It was a favorite when I was growing up, and I've since added a few things to make it even yummier. It's beauty might be in it's versatility-- it's perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner.
3 tablespoons olive (or vegetable) oil
3 cups coarsely shredded raw potato
1 cup grated cheese (swiss or cheddar)
3/4 cup diced/shredded meat (ham, browned sausage, cooked chicken--this is perfect for using holiday leftovers!)
1 cup evaporated milk
red bell pepper
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2) Begin cooking meat (if needed). Once meat is cooked, add in onion, etc, and a dash of black pepper. Saute.
3) Skin and grate potatoes. Mix with oil and form to pie plate or skillet
4) Bake potatoes for 15 minutes (until lightly browned)
5) Layer in meat, veggies, and cheese over potato "crust"
6) Beat together the evaporated milk and eggs; pour over meat/veggie/cheese mixture
7) Return pie plate/skillet to oven at 425 degrees for 30 minutes (until lightly browned and knife inserted 1 inch from edge comes out clean). Allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing into wedges.