Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Studio Update: Watercolor Word Art

This piece grew out of a desire to encourage a young teenager who has been struggling to find her place in life. The details aren't my story to share, but the bottom line is that she has been needing some reminders of God's plan and purpose in her life and His love for her. 

As I worked on this piece, I also decided to offer Watercolor Word Art as a custom listing in my shop because I think other people would enjoy having their name surrounded by their favorite quotes, verses, lyrics, words, etc. 

This piece is unique in that I spent a lot more time planning it than I usually do. I'm rather notorious for just sitting down to create or paint without putting proper forethought into the matter. Sometimes it works, but trust me, there are plenty of things that never make it to the shop or the blog or anywhere else! 

I got a text in class one day about what was going on in Siena's life and almost immediately jotted a doodle on the corner of my paper:


Over the next few weeks (and our move), I kept scribbling ideas in my sketchbook, playing with lettering and how to frame her name...how to include verses and add color, but without making it look too "busy." 

By the time I sat down today to give this idea its first real go, I had a general idea of where I was heading...just enough that the work took on a life of its own as soon as I began. 

My very first steps were in pencil, then I inked over those lines and added the verses. The little geometric shapes were my first hint that this piece already had its own ideas.


Shockingly, I slowed down enough to make a color palette. I'm so glad I did!




About halfway through I panicked. Her name was colored, the key words were "highlighted," and I'd started adding the extra geometric shapes around the outside sections. It looked VERY awkward, and I wasn't sure it was going to work at all... But I was surprised and delighted when I finished!


Once it dried, I took it off the painting board for proper photos:


 

As I mentioned, your own customized word art is available in my shop
Names, quotes (verses/lyrics/words), colors, and general style are all fully customizable!
Click here to learn more. :-)


Adventure well; Live fully. 
HAK






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments about this post--I'd love to hear from you!